In the Kitchen with our French friends, Jadot
Posted on October 3, 2016
Hey there, Grape Vine!
Grape Girl Lo here, taking to the blogosphere to bring you something a little different this week. Recently, our good friends at Louis Jadot, America’s #1 French wine, reached out and asked if we, The Grape Girls, were interested in participating in their first annual #ModernMeals recipe contest. Always up for a challenge, we OBVIOUSLY answered, “WINE not?”
Here’s the skinny on the contest: Create a super yummy and unique meal recipe using at least one of the following 5 items: apple, pear, squash, sweet potato, and pumpkin. Pair that yummy goodness with one of Jadot’s many fabulous wines, and VOILA! You’re entered to win a $500 AMEX gift card. Um, huh-LO? Do you even KNOW how much wine that can buy? SO in.
Here’s the thing, though. We, the Grape Girls, bring a unique perspective to the competition, because we have, in fact, TWO perspectives to share. So we thought, hey, one recipe is good, but how about TWO recipes? A “Lo” and a “Tee” take on this challenge, that both equally pair with our chosen wine? It was like a puzzle within a riddle – double the challenge, double the fun.
So we came up with Pumpkin Pizza – one sweet, one savory, one vegan, one not-so-vegan – and chose the 2014 Beaujolais to pair it with. The result? Pure, fall deliciousness.
Recipe #1: The Savory Tee Pumpkin Pizza (Bonus: It’s VEGAN!)
Trader Joes frozen organic pizza crust
1/2 can pumpkin puree
2 cups sweet potato, cubed
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
1 zucchini, sliced
2 Tbsp Blode Kuh cashew cheese spread, Okie Smokie flavor
1 cup arugula
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Mozzarella vegan cheese
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven nice and hot – we set it at 450F degrees.
- On top of your pizza crust, spread 1/2 can pumpkin puree. This will act as our sauce.
- On top of pumpkin puree, spread 2 tbsp Blode Kuh cashewcheese. (We used this brand because it’s THE BOMB, but you can use whatever brand of spreadable cashew cheese you love)
- Sprinkle pinch of Thyme on top.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in skillet; add in cubed squash, sliced zucchini and sweet potato and flash cook on high for 5 minutes, or until the outside begins to turn brown.
- Layer veggies from skillet on to your pizza and top with the remaining Thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle vegan cheese over veggies.
- Top with arugula. Add a little drizzle of EVOO if you’re feeling extra saucy.
- Pop that baby in the oven! Place directly on rack and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the crust turn golden brown.
- Pour yourself a glass of Louis Jadot Beaujolais and pat yourself on the back, you masterful chef, you.
Recipe #2: The Sweet Lo Pumpkin Pizza (Great news: It’s NOT Vegan!)
1 frozen Trader Joe’s organic pizza crust
1/2 can pumpkin puree
2 tbsp Blode Kuh Creamy Cashew Schmear
1 package Italian Dry Sliced Salami (from TJ’s, we got the 95% lean one)
1/4 tsp Thyme
1 clove garlic
1/2 white onion, sliced
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small package goat cheese
- Preheat oven nice and hot! We set ours at 450F degrees.
- Top your pizza crust with 1/2 can of pumpkin puree.
- Spread the cashew cheese on top of the pumpkin, then top with thyme. This will serve as our sauce.
- Layer the sliced salami on top of pizza. Have fun with it! Layer as much or as little as your little heart desires.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Mash and peel garlic and toss in. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until garlic begins to turn golden brown.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat; slice your onion and toss in. cook 4-6 minutes or until onions begin to turn golden brown. (this was actually a happy little accident; I wanted sugar to caramelize the onions but didn’t have any, so settled on the coconut oil. The result was SO delish and smelled divine!)
- Layer your onions on top of salami, then the roasted garlic on top of the onions.
- Top with little dollops of goat cheese – as many dollops as you want!
- Pop in the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes or until edges of the crust begin to turn golden brown.
- Pour yourself a glass of Louis Jadot Beaujolias and give yourself a hug ’cause you’re pretty freakin’ awesome.
We’d love to see your take on these delicious fall pizzas! Let us know why you love them – use the hashtags #TipItandSipIt and #ModernMeals find us on instagram, twitter, snapchat and always here on the blog! We HEART you…especially YOU, Jadot!
xx Lo & Tee